Dr. Colin Morton highlights the types of concerns that are often best resolved with dental implants, as well as the tooth replacement technique’s numerous benefits.
Ballston Lake, NY — When one or more teeth are damaged or missing, implant dentistry can often be an excellent way to restore form and function to one’s smile, says Ballston Lake dentist Colin Morton, DDS. Whether replacing a single tooth or an entire row of upper and/or lower teeth, the durability of dental implants makes them one of the most reliable restorative dentistry treatments available. Furthermore, their look and feel mimic natural teeth so well that they can blend seamlessly with surrounding teeth.
According to Dr. Morton, people who may want to consider dental implants include those who have damaged teeth that require extraction; have missing teeth due to decay, trauma, or periodontal disease; and/or those who are seeking a more comfortable and secure alternative to traditional dentures. He goes on to note that, in order to be considered an ideal candidate, patients should also have satisfactory oral health and sufficient jawbone density to support the implant post(s)—each of which is anchored into the jawbone to help ensure a stable and long-lasting restoration. This criteria, he adds, can be assessed during an appointment with a dentist who is skilled and experienced in implant dentistry.
For qualified individuals, Dr. Morton explains that dental implants offer numerous benefits in comparison to other tooth restorations. These include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Prevention of Bone Loss: Once a dental implant post has fused with the jawbone, it acts as a tooth root and stimulates the surrounding bone, ultimately helping to preserve existing tissue and limit future deterioration.
- No Special Care: Dental implants do not require any special maintenance other than regular brushing and flossing, just like natural teeth.
- A High Success Rate: In the hands of a highly trained and experienced dentist, implant dentistry has a high rate of success both short- and long-term.
- A Secure Fit: Due to the strong nature of dental implants, patients should be able to speak and eat without worrying about the integrity of their restoration(s). Additionally, when used in conjunction with dentures—a treatment known as implant dentures—dental implants eliminate the need for glues and adhesives, which can be unreliable at times.
- Natural Look, Feel, and Function: Complete with their restoration(s) on top, dental implants are designed to look, feel, and function just like natural teeth, making them nearly undetectable once in place.
Ultimately, for anyone considering dental implants, Dr. Morton stresses that it is extremely important to find a dentist who has considerable experience with implant dentistry. He encourages those who are interested to conduct thorough research to ensure the dentist they select can provide the level of care necessary for top-quality treatment and successful results—noting it can often be helpful to examine the dentist’s before-and-after photos and patient reviews in addition to assessing credentials to get an idea of what can be expected. When the right provider is selected, the Ballston Lake dentist says dental implants can provide patients with an exceptional outcome and a high rate of satisfaction.
About Colin Morton, DDS
Dr. Morton has been in practice since 1997 and is the fourth generation in his family to provide dental care. At his practice, he offers a wide variety of treatment options, including routine dental exams, dental implants, implant dentures, porcelain veneers, teeth whitening, and more. Dr. Morton is a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists, and he maintains his skills through continuing education and memberships in prestigious organizations like the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the American Dental Association, and the Academy of General Dentistry. He is available for interview upon request.
Colin Morton, DDS
One Rosell Drive
Ballston Lake, NY 12019